The Louise Place Learning Centa is an important component of Centacare’s Louise Place and provides accredited learning programs for pregnant and parenting young women.
What do we offer at the Learning Centa?
- Support from teachers, learning facilitators and mentors
- A safe and welcoming environment for children and young women
- A supportive group environment within which you are encouraged to take personal responsibility for your own learning.
- A setting which keeps you connected to your child/children and allows you to support your child’s development whilst focussing on your own learning
- Trained children’s workers who provide child minding whilst you are involved in learning activities
- Assistance with transport to and from Louise Place
- Flexible learning options and flexible timeframes, recognising your important role as parents
- Learning which is self paced, individualised and tailored to you and your goals, interests and needs
- Close connection with other young women who have similar goals to you
- Support in accessing and completing TAFE and other courses
- An opportunity to gain SACE credit for what you are already doing in your parenting role
- An opportunity to experience success in a learning environment and achieve VET Units of Competency, complete SACE subjects and work towards other education and training goals
- The program is offered at no cost to you. You do not need to be a client of Louise Place to access the Learning Centa.
Achieving your SACE
At the Louise Place Learning Centa you can enrol in SACE subjects and work towards completion of your SACE if this is an important goal for you.
In 2011, a number of SACE subjects will be offered:
- Literacy - Stage One Literacy for Work and Community Life
- Numeracy - Stage One Numeracy for Work and Community Life
- Personal Learning Plan (PLP) – a compulsory SACE subject in 2011
- Research Project – a compulsory SACE Stage 2 subject in 2011
- Stage One and Two Community Studies
- Community Learning – various units including Independent Living
- Certificate II in Education and Skills Development (contributes to achievement of SACE)
- Certificate II Business
- Certificate I in Introductory Vocational Education Certificate (IVEC) (contributes to achievement of SACE)
- Learning Together – Family Treasures and Learning Dispositions
- You can enrol in other SACE subjects through Open Access College
The Learning Centa operates from 10 am until 3 pm every Tuesday, Wednesday and Thursday of the school term. Enrolments are accepted on a continuous entry basis throughout the year.
Where are we
Louise Place is in Fullarton on Randolph Avenue. Bus 171 from King William Street will get you there. Get on at stop F2. Get off bus at stop 7 on Fullarton Road.
Transport to and from the city
Louise Place offers a pick-up service each day. The van arrives outside the Adelaide Railway Station at approx 9.45 am. The van departs Louise Place at 3.15 for return to the city. Please let us know if you think you would like to use this service.
For further information and to make a time to discuss how the learning centa might work for you, please contact one of our Learning Facilitators at Louise Place on 82726811 or the Program Manager Kerry Hoare on 0437 063 062.
The Louise Place Learning Centa is in part funded through the State Government’s ICAN Initiative. Young women enrol as full time students with Christies Beach High School as the auspicing school. There is no requirement for young women to attend on campus at Christies Beach. All learning occurs on site at Louise Place or in the community.